This week, The Musafir Stories speaks to Renuka Walter from the blog Voyager for Life! Renuka is one of the top solo women travelers from India and has worked with a number of brands and campaigns. Sit back and enjoy as Renuka takes us on her solo trip to Srinagar, Kashmir!
Today's destination: Srinagar, J&K
Nearest Airport: Srinagar International airport
Nearest Railway Station: Srinagar Railway station
Prerequisities - n/a for Indian citizens, but make sure to carry ID proof to show at checkposts
Packing - Carry warm layers as the weather tends to be unpredictable.
Time of the year - June, summers are quite enjoyable but winters offers different highlights.
Length of the itinerary: 13 days of slow travel!
- Renuka kicks off her journey with a visit to the iconic Dal lake and enjoying shikara rides. Dal lake is a vast lake spread over 15kms in the vicinity of mountains and gardens! Relive the memorable songs shot here right from Kashmir ki kali and Mission Kashmir to Jab tak hai Jaan and Fitoor!
- Did you know, you could shop for all kinds of things while on a shikara!
- Enjoy a night in the houseboat, enjoy the serene views and unique experience spending a night in the middle of Dal lake!
- Visit the nearby gardens - Pari mahal, a seven storeyed terrace garden that gives great view of the city.
- Visit the mughal gardens - Nishat Bagh, Shalimar Gardens & Chashm-e-Shahi that add in making Kashmir valley a heaven on earth.
- You can also plan a visit to Asia's largest Tulip gardens, spread over 15 hectares - the tulips are in full bloom in March - April.
- Enjoy other offbeat experiences like visiting cherry farms, apple farms and indulge in fruit picking activities.
- Plan a city walk in the old city to view some brilliant architecture and the traditional marketplace with a variety of shops and bakerys.
- Enjoy the traditional Kashmiri cuisine like Kashmiri wazwan as well as the more cafe oriented plum cakes and varieties of tea and kahwah!
- Don't miss taking a walk down the boulevard road and enjoy the beautifully designed houses and villas.
Renuka's Blog : Voyager for Life
In Renuka's words : The Majestic Mountains of Himalayas : Srinagar
In Renuka's words : Srinagar Old City walk
In Renuka's words : Fall in love with Srinagar
In Renuka's words : Where to Stay in Srinagar