This week, The Musafir Stories speaks to Anusha Kayy from the blog "The Small town blogger". Anusha shares her stories from an enriching trip to Benaras that she made on new year's eve. Sit back and enjoy listening!
Today's destination: Banaras (Varanasi) in Uttar Pradesh
Nearest airport: Lal Bahadur Shastri Airport or Varanasi Airport
Nearest Railway Station: Varanasi City (BCY), Varanasi Junction (BSB), Kashi (KEI), Manduadih (MUV), Jalalganj (JLL), Shiupur (SOP), Bhulanpur (BHLP), Chaukhandi (CHH)
Packing - Pack warm clothes if traveling in winter months
Time of the year - December/January
Length of the itinerary: 3 days, 4 nights
- Lodging at Pooja Guest house on the Lalitha ghat
- Spend time on a boat at Dashashvamedh ghat, listening to stories from the Maanjhi (boat rider)
- Visit the Manikarnika Ghat (where the Hindu cremations take place) and Assi Ghat- Yogis and sadhus mostly seen during the Kumbh mela. Beware of fake sadhus
- Legenf of the Manikarnika ghat
- Enjoy the street food at Kashi chat bhandaar - Tomato chaat, Samosa chaat and Poori bhaaji deserves a special mention. Finish up your meals with the famous Benarasi Paan (beetle leaf with a concoction of seasoning and sweet)
- If you are looking for a fancy meal, you might have to travel to Lanka road
- Shop for the beautiful Benarasi sarees to your heart's content
- Visit the Hanuman temple and Vishwanath temple, avoid peak hours or be stuck in long queues
- Enjoy the Benarasi Aarti at the ghats. Make sure to reach early to find a good spot!
- Make a visit to the Benaras Hindu University, the oldest university in India, if time permits.
- Partying on the rooftop of the guest house on new year's eve - from ghazals to bollywood rock anthems!
- Walking about the ghats, enjoying the graphitti and some interaction with the locals
- Make sure to leave 3 hrs in advance to catch your flight back (yes, traffic jams are terrible!)