This week, The Musafir Stories speaks to Divyam Goenka, a young trekking enthusiast and founder of Kyuriosity, a Bangalore based trekking community.
Today's destination: Savanadurga Trek!!
Nearest Airport: Kempegowda International Airport, Bangalore (BLR)
Nearest Railway Station: Bangalore Railway station
Prerequisites - Some trekking experience doesn't hurt!
Packing - Make sure to carry enough water to stay hydrated and some energy bars for when the going gets tough!
Time of the year - November to February is a good time to do this trek
Length of the itinerary: 1 day
- Divyam and his friend hit the road after an impromptu plan to do the trek. The hill is situated about 70 kms from Bangalore and is well connected by roads.
- The Savanadurga peak is over 1200 m high and is Asia's biggest monolith rock!
- The best option would be to start early in the day so that you can hit the peak around sunrise. The official timings of the trek are sunrise to sunset.
- Make sure to stock yourself before hitting the trek as it can be tiring if you get dehydrated. There are a couple of options at the foot of the hill that offer very good food.
- Make sure to follow the trail markers or the lamp posts all the way to the summit, and avoid getting lost (although you have to try really hard for that!)
- You will encounter fort walls along the trek at a few places, these are the remnants of the fort built by Kempegowda, the founder of Bangalore and later used by other rulers like Hyder Ali and Tipu Sultan.
- The trek is medium level of difficulty, unless there is rain, or you choose to do it on a hot day.
- Make sure to start early so that you can catch the sunrise and a view of the nearby Manchabele dam and Arkavati river!
- The views from the summit are quite beautiful and well worth the climb, make sure to catch visit the Nandi statue at the summit!
- Once you spend time at the summit, you can head back down and have a wholesome meal at the little shack at the base of the hill.
- If you have more time on hand, you can indulge in activities like kayaking near the dam!
- All in all, a great day trek, to a place that has a lot of historical and geographical
itunes - https://apple.co/2LPtTA3
Google podcasts - http://bit.ly/2toY7lj or voice or google search "Ok Google, play The Musafir stories podcast"
website - http://bit.ly/2xFZqOV
Saavn - https://bit.ly/2J5rIqi
Spotify - https://spoti.fi/2HLPSVi
pocketcasts - https://bit.ly/2xu3Ewg
castbox - https://bit.ly/2sqBDQi
Overcast - https://bit.ly/2LN9wnf
Stitcher Radio - https://bit.ly/2JiBbhw
audioBoom - https://bit.ly/2oZZowS
TuneIn - https://bit.ly/2xyQH4a
RadioPublic - https://bit.ly/2snY9u0
iHeartradio - https://ihr.fm/2xvOG8R
Deezer - https://bit.ly/2L7GmOo