This week, The Musafir Stories speaks to Subhadip Mukherjee from www.indianvagabond.com as we explore India’s only China Town!
Today's destination: Kolkata, India
Nearest Airport: Netaji Subhash Chandra Bose Intl Airport, CCU
Nearest Railway Station: Kolkata Railway Station, KOAA
Prerequisites - N/A
Packing - Pack light, carry warm clothes as it can get bit chilly in winter
Time of the year - End of January
Length of the itinerary: 2-3 days
- Subhadip starts off by sharing some background on the Chinese community’s origins in India and Kolkata, the connection to sugar, leather, tanneries and more.
- We start by covering the two distinct china towns in Kolkata, Tiretti bazaar or Old chinatown and Tangra or the new chinatown
- Tiretti Bazaar is one of the earlier settlements of the Chinese community in India and is popular for the morning breakfast market as well as the Chinese temples that are in abundance in the region.
- Tangra was set up initially as a industrial area for tanneries but was eventually turned into a hub of all the popular chinese restaurants in Kolkata
- We discuss the new year celebrations in Kolkata, the popular lion and dragon dance that takes place during the celebrations as well as other popular festivals of the chinese community
- Finally we touch upon other important places like prominent temples, cemeteries as well as the must visit restaurants in the area.
Link to the blog: https://indianvagabond.com/
Link to Subhadip’s Instagram: https://instagram.com/subhadipindia/
Link to Subhadip’s Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/subhadip.mukherjee.india
Link to the Subhadip’s twitter: https://twitter.com/subhadipindia
Link to Subhadip’s episode on Mysore - https://themusafirstories.com/podcasts/a-weekend-in-mysuru-with-subhadip-mukherjee/
Follow the Musafir stories on:
Twitter : https://twitter.com/musafirstories?lang=en