This week, The Musafir Stories speaks to Ayush Kumar as he takes us to another hidden gem in India!
Today's destination: Bhubaneswar, Odisha!
Nearest Airport: Biju Patnaik Airport, BBI
Nearest Railway Station: Bhubaneswar Railway Station, BBS
Prerequisites - NA
Packing - Pack according to the weather
Time of the year - Winter months from November to Jan is the best time to visit!
Length of the itinerary: 3-4 days to a week!
- Ayush starts off by sharing important historical anecdotes about the city, the city that has been witness to some significant historical events like the Kalinga war!
- Bhubaneswar is also known as the temple city and rightly so, has been home to over 2000 temples in the past. The important temples to visit include Lingaraj temple, Mukteshwar temple, Raja Rani temple, Parashurameshwara temple, Anantha vasudev temple - famous for it's serving of the temple food or Prasad!
- Ayush also references the variety of food options that are indigenous to Odisha and their backstory, touching up the GI tagged foods like the Rasgulla!
- Other culturally important experiences are the Odissi dance, the local music, Pottachitra (palm drawings), Bomkhai sarees, chenna poda sweet!
- Other places of interest include Dhaulagiri that has some buddhist edicts from the time of King Ashoka. The region also has a number of rock cut caves that served as residences for the monks.
- Not far away, there is also the Khandagiri and Udayagiri known to be Jain rock cut caves that have a number of inscriptions and served as residences for the monks.
- The ancient city of Shishupalgarh, is another place that one can plan to visit while in Bhubaneswar. The excavations of this lost city from 1-2nd century BC was recently discovered and the findings continue to grow.
- One can also indulge spending some time in the Odisha state museum, Tribal museum and Kalabhoomi museum. There are also miniature models of the Ratha used during the Rathyatra at the Puri temple is installed at the KalaBhoomi museum.
- Nandankanan Zoo and Ekamravana are other places for ones who want to indulge in the outdoors and nature.
- Finally, those who are short on time can partake in some heritage walks conducted by Ekamra Walks that covers the old city and temples.
Sota War (https://freesound.org/people/YleArkisto/sounds/258207/) by YleArkisto (https://freesound.org/people/YleArkisto/) is licensed under CC by 3.0 (https://creativecommons.org/licenses/by/3.0/)
Follow the Write & Geek Show for your weekly dose of Geek!
Follow the Musafir stories on:
Twitter : https://twitter.com/musafirstories?lang=en
Apple podcasts - https://apple.co/2LPtTA3
Google podcasts - http://bit.ly/2toY7lj
website - http://bit.ly/2xFZqOV
Saavn - https://bit.ly/2J5rIqi
Spotify - https://spoti.fi/2HLPSVi
Gaana - http://bit.ly/2NClUYY
pocketcasts - https://bit.ly/2xu3Ewg
castbox - https://bit.ly/2sqBDQi
Overcast - https://bit.ly/2LN9wnf
Stitcher Radio - https://bit.ly/2JiBbhw
audioBoom - https://bit.ly/2oZZowS
TuneIn - https://bit.ly/2xyQH4a
RadioPublic - https://bit.ly/2snY9u0
iHeartradio - https://ihr.fm/2xvOG8R
Deezer - https://bit.ly/2L7GmOo