This week, The Musafir Stories speaks to Swati Sinha from the blog Recipe for Travel! Swati is a working professional based in Bangalore, who blogs about her travel and experiences, with the aim of sharing and enjoying these experiences with more people.
Today's destination: Shimla aboard the Kalka-Shimla toy train
Nearest Airport: Chandigarh
Nearest Railway Station: Kalka
Prerequisities - The booking of the Kalka Shimla trains opens only a month in advance, so it maybe useful to work with a travel agent to book tickets.
Packing - Warm clothes for the higher altitudes, pills for motion sickness may be useful.
Time of the year - April
Length of the itinerary: 5 days
- The journey is kickstarted by flying in to Chandigarh, where Swati spends a day with her family exploring the famous Rock garden and Sukhna lake. Pal's Dhaba is a must stop eatery!
- Leave for Kalka early morning to board the UNESCO world hertiage site declared Kalka-Shimla heritage train. The train is a meter gauge that covers about 100kms passing through 102 tunnels and innumerable bridges. Interesting legends around the Barog tunnel!
- Arrive at Shimla in the second half of the day and explore the Mall road and surrounding areas!
- Start early for the heritage walk next morning, organized by Sumit Vashisht from Shimla walks! Important stops at the Christ church by the ridge, State library, Bandstand, General post office, Scandal point, Vice regal lodge and President nivas.
- Spend the rest of the day exploring Anna dale and Jhaako temple which is home to the 108 foot Hanuman statue towering over Shimla
- Spend the final day exploring Chail and the Kaali ka tibba before returning to Shimla!
Swati's blog - http://www.recipe4travel.com/
Instagram - @recipe4travel
Twitter - @recipe4travel
facebook - https://www.facebook.com/recipe4travel/